I was talking with Debbie Sardone, residential cleaning expert, and she shared what she feels are the top 5 burning issues facing cleaning company owners:
1. Finding and Retaining Staff. In order to do this we need to offer top pay for employees, a work culture of respect, dignity and values, and we need to treat our employees like VIP customers. We also need to have a predictable work environment for our employees (routine/repetitive systems and processes).
2. Pricing and Bidding Correctly. We must price jobs correctly to effectively pay employees and maintain net profits. We need to have a price structure based on systems and process have the confidence to price our jobs knowing our company is the best.
3. Maintaining Quality of Work. Do this by utilizing systems and processes, repetition and routines, communicating effectively with customers to prevent complaints, clearly define what work is done.
4. Control Expenses and Net Profit. Keep an eye on where your money is going. Also, you'll find that when you bid correctly, maintain the quality of work, and put systems into place, it will be easier to control your expenses.
5. Systems and Processes. Phone quotes are important and we should always push our first time cleaning and spring cleanings as our most popular. Explain what is done on these cleans before ever mentioning price. Then and only then mention what is offered on general/maintenance cleans. There should be a system and processes for every aspect of your business, including phone quotes, to provide consistency with employees and customer expectations.
Did you notice the theme running through this list? Systems and Processes - this is a key component of being successful in business. What are your thoughts? Do you have systems in place? Click on the Comments link below to post your thoughts.
If you're a member of The Janitorial Store, you can listen to the interview, where Debbie goes into more detail.
If you're not a member and would like to join, click here.